How to get a work permit

It is important that you have access to the email address you give your employer until you have received a decision regarding your application. The Swedish Migration Agency will use this email address to communicate with you throughout the application period.

What is a power of attorney?

A power of attorney can be a signed letter in which the person applying for a permit allows another person to represent him or her. A power of attorney can, for example, give someone the right to apply, be informed of the reasons for a decision, or lodge an appeal for someone else. The power of attorney must be signed by the person who gives their power of attorney to another person, and must be presented in the original if required by the Swedish Migration Agency.

If your family will accom­pany you and you are applying for them at the same time, you will also be required to submit the following:

  • copies of the pages in their passports which show their personal information, photograph, signature, passport number, passport issuing country, the period of the passport’s validity, bar code on the identification page and whether they have permission to live in countries other than their country of origin.
  • copies of marriage certificates or the equivalent (applies to married couples or registered partners)
  • documents showing that you have lived together in your country of origin (applies to cohabiting partners)
  • birth certificates for children
  • consent from the other custodial parent, if they are not also coming to Sweden, stating that the child is allowed to move to Sweden
  • documents showing that children above the age of 21 are financially dependent on their parents
  • adoption documents if the child was adopted
  • power of attorney if you are representing all members of the family who are over 18 years and who are co-applicants.


A statement of consent is a signed letter from the parent who has custody but will not be accompanying the child to Sweden, in which he or she agrees that your child should be granted a residence permit to settle in Sweden. The statement of consent should contain


According to Ukrainian legislation on employment, foreign citizens can be employed in Ukraine by locally registered companies as well as individual person (Ukrainian citizen or a foreign national, who lives in Ukraine based on a temporary/permanent residence permit) in cases when the respective position does not require Ukrainian citizenship (e.g. public officer can be only citizen of Ukraine) and does not require access to the state secrecy.

Application for a work permit is made by a locally registered company-employer who is willing to employ a foreign national in Ukraine. Ukrainian law defines minimal requirements to the salary of foreign employees depending on the category (which are higher than amount of minimal wage for Ukrainian nationals, defined by law), namely:

  1. five minimum wages* (in 2020 minimum wage amounts UAH 4723) – for employees of non-governmental organizations, charity organizations and educational institutions;
  2. ten minimum wages – for any other types of employees;
  3. requirements to the amount of salary do not apply for “preferred categories of foreign employees“, namely:
    1. IT professionals (in this case, the company-employer has to have main registered type of business activity – computer programming)
    2. the cases when shareholder or ultimate beneficiary of the company is employed as the company’s employee;
    3. persons who have a degree from a university that ranks in the top 100 universities under the list, defined by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine
    4. creative professionals who own copyright and related rights
    5. foreign highly paid professionals (whose salary is not less than 50 minimum wages)

    What should I do if USCIS denies my Work Permit application?

    1. You made a mistake on your application. If you filled out Form I-765 incorrectly, forgot to sign it, or didn’t send the correct supporting documents, USCIS may reject your application.
    2. You weren’t eligible for a Work Permit. The only way you can get a Work Permit is to have a U.S. immigration status that allows you to work while you are here. If you do not have such status and submit an application for a Work Permit, USCIS will reject your application.
    3. You received other Work Authorization before your Work Permit application was approved. If you apply for a Green Card and a Work Permit at the same time, your Green Card application might be approved before your Work Permit is. This doesn’t happen very often. If it does, though, don’t worry! Your Green Card allows you to work, and you will not need a separate Work Permit.

    If USCIS rejects your Work Permit application because of a mistake or eligibility reason, it would be good to speak with an immigration attorney. You can often reapply if you are eligible, but doing so after a rejection can be tricky. It’s best to get the advice of an expert so that you can get approved and start working. You can find an attorney or legal aid agency, many of whom can help you for free, on the government website


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *